How To Reset/Recover/Change Windows Xp Admin Forgot Password
Lots of computer users think that they need to reinstall the system after forgetting the password to log into computer. Actually that’s not the only way to help you out. The easiest and fastest way is to reset Windows XP password. It also can save you hundreds of dollars if you don’t have a Windows installation disk and need to purchase one for it.
Forgot Windows XP password and you haven’t created a Windows XP password reset disk previously? The tutorial walks you through the procedures to reset forgotten Windows XP administrator password using Command Prompt, Safe Mode and bootable CD/USB disk.
Option 1: How To Reset Windows XP Password via Command Prompt
If you could log in with another administrator account, you can open the Command Prompt and reset your forgotten password easily.
- Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
- To reset your password, enter the following command at the Command Prompt:
net user user_name new_password
For example, if I want to change my account which is Jack to password 123, I would type in net user jack 123 and press Enter.
- Your password should now be changed.
Option 2: How To Reset Windows XP Password in Safe Mode
In every installation of Windows XP, there is a built-in and default account named Administrator, which is equivalent to super user or root in Unix/Linux system. By default, the default Administrator account has no password. However, if you’ve set up another user account, the Administrator account will be hidden from the logon screen.
The default Administrator account is only accessible in both Safe Mode and the traditional logon screen. Here are two ways to log on to Windows XP as the default Administrator account:
- Boot into Safe Mode. Repeatedly press F8 key while turning on your computer, until you see the Advanced Boot Options screen. Choose Safe Mode and press Enter. You can then see the default Administrator account displayed at the logon screen.
- Boot your computer normally. When you get to the Windows XP Welcome screen, simply press Ctrl + Alt + Del twice. You will be presented with a traditional logon screen. Type in Administrator into the username box and click OK.
After logging into the default Administrator account, open the Control Panel and you can reset Windows XP password for any user account. If that doesn’t work, you need to use a Windows XP password reset bootable CD.
Option 3 : How To Reset Windows Xp Admin Password Using Disk or Bootable CD
Almost all Windows versions provide a built-in method to recover forgotten password by using “Password Reset Disk“. If you created a Password Reset Disk in past, you can use that disk to reset the password.
If you don’t know how to create a password reset disk, lets tell you in details. You can create the password reset disk using Control panel -> User Accounts applet.
First open Control Panel and click on User Accounts icon. It’ll open User Accounts window. Now click on your user account and then click on “Prevent a forgotten windows xp password” link given in left-side pane. It’ll open forgotten password wizard as shown in following screenshot:
First open Control Panel and click on User Accounts icon. It’ll open User Accounts window. Now click on your user account and then click on “Prevent a forgotten password” link given in left-side pane. It’ll open forgotten password wizard as shown in following screenshot:
Follow the instructions and you’ll have a password reset disk in your hand.
Option 4: How To Reset Windows Xp Password Using Login Screen
If you are using Windows XP, this method is the first thing which you should follow whenever you forget your Windows login password. When we install Windows, it automatically creates a hidden user account “Administrator” and sets its password to blank. So if you forget your user account password then try this:
1. Start your computer and when you see Windows Welcome screen (Login screen), press <ctrl>+<alt>+<del> keys twice and it’ll show Classic Login box.
2. Now type Administrator in Username box and leave Password box empty. Now press Enter and you should be able to log into Windows.
3. Now you can reset your account password from “Control Panel -> User Accounts“.
Same thing can be done using Safe Mode. In Safe Mode Windows will show this in-built Administrator account in Login screen.
Option 5: How To Reset/Recover Windows Xp Admin Password Using Windows Xp setup loophole
If the above mentioned tricks don’t work for you, try following trick which is actually a loophole in Windows XP Setup and also a big security hole:
1. Boot using Windows XP Setup CD and follow the instruction like Accepting EULA, etc.
2. When it asks to repair your existing Windows installation, accept it and press “R” key to run the repair.
3. Setup will start repairing your Windows and will start copying files, etc.
4. After a few minutes setup will restart your system and when it restarts, don’t press any key when it shows “Press any key to continue…”. Otherwise Setup will start from the beginning. Don’t press any key and setup will resume where it left.
5. Now it’ll start doing other tasks and will show a small progressbar with a few details in left side.
6. Look carefully at the details and when it shows “Installing devices“, press <Shift>+F10 keys together in your keyboard.
7. It’ll open a Command Prompt window. Now type nusrmgr.cpl and press <Enter> key.
8. It’ll open the same “User Accounts” window which you see in Control Panel.
9. Now you can remove or reset any account password without any problem.
Tags: How to bypass Windows password without resetting or changing the current password,how to reset windows xp admin password,windows xp administrator password reset without cd,how to reset administrator password in windows xp without admin rights,How To Recover Windows XP Admin Password,How do I reset the Windows XP Administrator password,How to Reset Windows XP Administrator Password After Forgotten,how to reset windows xp administrator password in registry,how to recover windows xp administrator password,how to recover windows xp admin password without cd